Friday, June 4, 2010

Nature Boy~In Charge of the World...




"There was a boy A very strange enchanted boy They say he wandered very far, very far Over land and sea A little shy and sad of eye But very wise was he...And then one day A magic day he passed my way And while we spoke of many things Fools and kings This he said to me the greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return".~Nature Boy, Nat King Cole




From my book "Cover My Heart, So My Soul can Stay Warm"©10 . The poem is an original from a 9 year old.



This morning I stumbled upon a new fact about Z, I finally found out he had published a book!
My goodness Z is a published writer! What makes it more amzing is he is only 8 years old




I did not know.



As I read his book I was struck again in his clarity of his world written in the pureness & innocence of childhood... I excitedly said to his mom " Eureka! Now I get it! Z's poet, that is what is happening here. He's a writer!"



Now I know why I have felt the need to intervene when others push him around as he is a lot like me head in the clouds, sensitive and words bursting out all over the place. The difference between he & I s I have a 51 year advantage on him in living.



I want to add here that for most of his very young life, Z has been homeless from a time, a very rough and traumatic time & as miracles have it they are heading toward a clear & brighter life. But Z has an well meaning uncle who is very hard on him as he thinks Z is "soft" and needs to man up. Unfortunately as life goes his uncle does not get it that his actions are having the opposite effect on this young man. Mind you this uncle is by nature not a cruel man, he is behaving how HE was treated growing up and in some misguided way things that since he toughen up that it would work on Z. And his mother while doing all she can to advocate for him, clearly knows that since they are living with this uncle until she find housing, has tobe creative, finding ways to protect her son by keeping housing & keeping him safe.





But his poem is very telling. He has said in his own words what is in his heart which makes Z's poem even more poignant & shows a mature astuteness one should not have so young.






If I was in Charge of the World


By Z ©10




If I was in Charge of the World


I'd cancel brussel sprouts..


Listen to my uncle...




Cleanin the bathroom & also test...



If I was in charge of the world...


There would be cake for breakfast...


Food for my family...


And muffins...


And pizza for dinner



If I was in charge of the world...

A person couldn't yell at me...

All kids could play whenever they wanted...
And a person who fell

And scraped his hand
Would still be in charge of the world


All rights ReservedJHM©10

No comments: