Monday, February 16, 2009

Words from Jewel Diamond Taylor

Lil~lee in Black & White ©09JHM photograph

Hang in there. Some situations are beyond your control.
In life there is no "escape" button to avoid the bad and sad places. Surrendering and being still until your storm passes is not a sign of weakness. Some times it's the best and only thing to do. No matter how good a person you are or how much preparation you make, stuff happens.
I'm growing to understand that peace and wisdom comes from learning how to live with unanswered questions. Obsessing with the questions "why" and "when" only prove to be exhausting and stressful.
Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars. You have to let go at some point in order to move forward.
My former self used to hold in bad feelings. I thought if I acknowledged my sadness, anger or fear it was a sign of weakness. I thought if I held in my emotions I was in control and strong. That mindset only leads to an emotional time bomb that goes off later with unfortunate consequences.
A coping skill I try to remember now during challenging times is not to suppress what I'm feeling. I express what I'm feeling and I work on letting go of the stress but holding on to my; faith, sense of humor, connection to family and friends, compassion, health and my passion to stay on track with my life's purpose

No comments: